The Lifecycle of an All-Digital Magazine
In Episode 7 of the Paywall Podcast, ZEEN101’s Jeremy Green talks to Todd Moen of Catch Magazine. The Official Journal of Flyfishing Photography and Film, Catch has been an all-digital, high-resolution publication for over a decade.
In that time, the magazine has weathered every storm and survived every evolution of web-based content. Jeremy and Todd talk through it all.
The key takeaways include:
- The crucial importance of not just great content, but the right great content;
- Knowing when you’ve found the right format for your publication;
- The pros and cons of the ever-evolving technology of the publication industry (pros: a better, more versatile experience; cons: it can take a lot of work to keep up with it);
- Daring to dream about different revenue streams (AKA, A print-on-demand coffee table book may be more affordable than you think);
- The value of a searchable, shareable publication.
Though Catch appeals to a niche audience, its journey will resonate with every publisher and its triumphs are proof of what a passion project can become with the right tools.
Did you miss an episode?
Our past episodes answer common publisher questions, provide explanations on making the most of your paywall, show off how other unique publishers have found success, profile the growth of a successful publication, and provide a wealth of tactics for growing your subscriptions:
- Why have a paywall?
- How to set up your paywall to convert more paying subscribers,
- 6 examples of successful publication & product launches,
- An interview with Street Photography Magazine,
- How to generate more paid subscriptions with promotions,
- An interview with Greg Wolfe on magazine renewals and gift subscription strategies.
Stay tuned for the next episode of the Paywall Podcast, available on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, Google Podcasts, and Pandora.