If you are publishing issues to the web take a look at Albert Einstein College of Medicine‘s digital magazine. They do a lot of things right.
What and how they do it
This WordPress site publishes real web articles and issues (not flip-book or PDFs). This let’s Google crawl and index all the articles for readers to find when they run a search. This means more readers find Einstein’s articles
- Live web issues also means that readers can share each article in Facebook, Linkedin, etc. This means articles can go viral in social media
- The layout is very clean which draws the readers attention to the photos and articles. The home page is the current issue. Top stories are displayed in a slideshow at the top while the articles in each department (category) are grouped below. This lets the reader easily scan through the issue to find what they want.
- Archive issues are neatly grouped on the archive page and when the reader clicks a past issue the entire issue loads up with the selected issue name always displayed in the header
- The publication is responsive to small screens such as mobile phones and tablets. Apps are in development
- Email subscriptions… anyone can sign up to be notified when a new issue goes live
Einstein Magazine provides a great model for how a print publication can move it’s issues online to serve the needs of the modern digital reader.
- IssueM manages issues in WordPress
- Revolution Slider manages featured top stories and is integrated with IssueM
- Custom styled theme
Publication URL: Einstein Magazine